Sunday, June 11, 2006

Shyamol Chhaya

I just finished watching the Bengali movie Shyamol Chhaya (2004), directed by Humayun Ahmed. To be frank, it was my dad who made me watch the movie (I owed him one after I made him watch Swades). I was expecting a sappy, bad effects movie but I was pleasantly surprised.

Ahmed uses the stories of the people on a boat, fleeing their village in 1971 for a safer village, as a parable for the society they are living in. Various characters are fleshed out in the 110 minute story, and the plot is littered with constant twists to ensure that any part does not drag too long. Competent acting by all concerned, and a brilliant entry in anyone's collection.

Shyamol Chhaya was Bangladesh's official submission to the 2006 Academy Awards. It also featured in the Palm Springs International Film Festival, as well as lots of others.


A scene from Shyamol Chhaya

Tags:

No comments: